An interesting start to the new year with a visit from a fire officer as the numb skull who filled the oil tank up yesterday morning managed to leave the valve open. Cue huge spill, panicking Claire due to the fumes in the house. Anyway I won't say anymore except look out oil company when you open on Tuesday! I won't be paying for the oil and you will be sending someone to clean the spill up!
Whilst sitting here bored this morning, I found out the Mall was going to be open today so decided to take Charlie there as I knew he wanted to buy some sort of mosaic kit and mooch around Hobbycraft.
We got there just before 12 and I was shocked that both the M4 and M5 were very quiet as was the Mall itself - it was fab. Charlie bought some Nemo stickers in the Disney Store sale, a crystal in Natural World, I bought him this book, this book and this book
I've definitely come to the conclusion that overall the Usborne books are much nicer and more appealing to children. The DK ones seem to have lovely covers but are nowhere near as colourful or "stand outy" enough inside. This is something I've been pondering for some time, being a sad "bookworm". Usborne definitely have it for me on the content and attractiveness front. As a total bonus the internet linking is fab, the links are extensive and particularly good for home ed as they aren't all work sheet links, but there is plenty to print out and do if you want that.
Off to Hobbycraft we went and he bought a mosaic kit, he loves that shop and I have to be really firm as the first time we went in there I spent £150!!
The weather is supposed to be sunnyish tomorrow, so we may go to the zoo to use our membership.
3 comments:
Yep, I'm with you on the Usborne v DK front. When dd was really little, I did like the DK ones, as I really liked the single picture on a white background thing that they do with their baby books, but now I think Usborne is streets ahead. Even using their quicklinks from their web site without having the book at all is useful sometimes.
how funny - I've always vastly preferred DK and in fact used to be a home party-plan seller until it went defunct - Usborne always seemed to lack something to my mind - but maybe they're better more recently.
I did the DK seller thing as well. I was very pee-ed off when they went tummy up, as I'd really just got to the stage of having a decent down-line. But tbh, I think it had probably had its day, when book pricing was no longer protected.
Post a Comment