Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Just an ordinary day here

Yeuck, whatever Charlie had last night, I managed to catch but was pretty much recovered by lunch time and Charlie has been fine all day.

Went back to sleep after my 7.15 sniff and we didn't get up until 10am, I was exhausted.

After breakfast, Charlie played on one of his new cd-roms, Jump Ahead Year 2. He played the mixed subject one that covers all the curriculum. I have to say I find these cd-roms very frustrating, on 2 different games it was completely unclear about how to "do" it if that makes sense. Basically you had to make the goldfish eat the bubbles containing the correct answer to the maths problem. Ok fine. But it doesn't tell you how to get the goldfish to do it. So there I was manically using the arrow keys and trying with the mouse and all sorts. After ten minutes of frustration for both of us, by accident I click on the jar of worms and figured out you had to place the worm on the bubbles. Why oh why didn't the narration say so?? It was one of the reasons I sold the Year 1 cd-roms last year, because we just couldn't work out how to play half the games.

Anyway, once he got going he really enjoyed it and played 6 different games.The thing I really like was how each game was repeated with slight changes about 6/8 times so he really got to practice each skill. We stopped for lunch and then he went outside to play in the garden and do some weeding for me apparently. Two of the horses in the field came and put their heads over our low wall and Charlie fed them some grass and stroked them. We both love this interaction with these horses. There are about 10 in all, and a couple in particular are very affectionate.

Charlie has read some more of The Scarecrow and His Servant and also read a poem he liked,to me from the book I bought the other day.

I managed quite an amount of work myself today, and am left with only one file. A fairly big one, and not very pleasant. A father that murdered his 6 week old daughter in 1999, served only 3 years sentence, now wants contact to the two older children. Reading the injuries that little baby suffered in her short life, has really upset me tonight.

No comments: