Monday, January 03, 2005

Home-edish stuff

I'm going to do seperate posts today, one for home ed and one for IVF.

So, Charlie did another 4 pages of maths workbook today, I was incredibly impressed as he chose to keep going after 2,and did really exceptionally well with adding up to 160. I really hope that addition has clicked fully now. He also had to do counting up and down in tens from 50 to 150, and managed that beautifully. Fingers crossed he has got this now. I know some home edders won't approve of the prescribed maths work, but he really needs this very structured approach to maths or he just loses it. Interestingly introducing counters/manipulatives totally messes him up and he can't do it with them!

More of the romans project was done today. As he had spent around 2 hours surfing the net using his romans books and the Usborne quicklinks, I asked him to choose to write something that he had learnt today from those. He wrote about roman houses, and says he will illustrate it tomorrow. His spelling ability really makes me laugh, he's not quite 7 and can spell "archipelago" and "ambulant" and today he spelt "conquest, mosaiac,thatched,defending, and villas" without help but had to ask how to spell "was"!

He's nearly finished his Faraway Tree 3-in-1 novel today so that makes a total of 12 novels in just under 3 weeks. Not bad at all.

Tomorrow, we're going to do some cooking, but not much else planned as it is an official work day for me, boo hiss.

1 comment:

Claire said...

He loves his reading Heather and got 2 Roald Dahl books for christmas and has read one (can't remember which) at school last term. He will enjoy them I'm sure, but I think he will whizz through and find them easy.

I'm finding it hard to find appropriate books for him, as his reading ability came out at 9 in the educational pyschologist tests last month, so he needs books in the 8-12 section in shops, but much of the content is dark. Does that make sense? He's what would be considered as more feminine in his reading tastes and would rather read an animal based story book or even the Faraway Tree type than say the more allegedly "male" books. He doesn't like all those books with titles like "Bogey man" and things like that - he thinks they're a waste of time!

I got him Swiss Family Robinson the other day, not sure how its going to go down.