Monday, August 07, 2006

Funny old week

As the title says last week was a funny old week. I felt very lethargic (possibly the pill) and unable to do much at all really which meant I got hopelessly behind on my work and spent hours on Sunday catching up. I didn't even have much energy for the business but managed to get out the few orders I had on time and even managed to organise Charlie to help me with the prize draw!

I'm finding waiting very consuming at the moment and that coupled with the nausea from the pill isn't a good thing. I asked for advice in the health shop though and got a new homeopathic remedy for the nausea which, touch wood, is better than the nux vom and actually working.

I've had a few moments of swearing at the pc screen - mainly because the HFEA are such utter bar stweards. They've decided that after decades, they have only just noticed that US sperm donors are paid. WTF?? Even my unmaternal partner knew that! The HFEA in their infinite wisdom have decided to refuse all pending applications for sperm importation from the US.

Due to the massive sperm shortage in the UK this led to mass panic in fertility clinics countrywide as both personal and clinic licence applications were refused. The Lister were lucky - they had already received their shipment, but some of their patients and my friends and other clinics weren't as lucky.

So now, the Lister are being forced to share each vial of sperm between 5/6 patients and all must have ICSI on top of IVF.

Sometimes I really wonder why the HFEA/government continue to play god in our lives? First of all they cause the UK shortage of donor sperm and then they stop sperm being imported to ease the situation. My heart breaks for all those couples and single women that now can't have treatment for the forseeable future. I was lucky, my vial was reserved the day after I got back from Merry's the other week and I am so thankful for that.

I discovered today that some people can be so unbelievably unpleasant and vindictive that it actually suprises me. The less said about that on here the better probably but frankly, I really do wonder who some people think they are and their behaviour utterly disgusts me. I did think the HE community was better than that but I guess I learnt a valuable lesson - that where ever you are in life, where ever you go and whomever you mix with there is always one nasty piece of work.

Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Helen - an announcement was made on the Fertility Friends website and statements from HFEA and one of the US clinics - Xytex were posted there. Additionally, my clinic confirmed it. Basically the HFEA have put a temporary ban on all importations if the sperm donor has been paid anything other than expenses (which of course, all US donors are paid expenses + a fee) until 13th September when they will hold another meeting.