Thursday, January 05, 2006

Tap..tap..tap

Oh my god - it's actually true - afer 46 days I have internet access at last! I'm so excited and relieved that it's almost an anti-climax. We've both been feeling dreadfully cut off from the home ed "world" since moving as there is nothing going on in this part of the county, that it's so nice to be able to read the blogs again at least.

I did manage to eventually get to speak to the lady in charge of the home ed group in Oxford but in all honesty I was totally put off by the description of what happens which is basically 5 hours of school for home ed children! It's all tutors and lessons, and it's not at all what we're used to. To top it all off you have to book and pay for 5 sessions in advance at £8 per child per session and with my work situation I just can't commit to being out of the house from 9.45-4.30. I wouldn't mind paying that amount but I can never guarrantee when I'll have a quiet enough work day to attend and it's every fortnight too.

So Charlie decided it just isn't for him and I can totally understand why. He doesn't want to sit in "lessons" with tutors for 5 hours, he wants to play, chat and socialise with other home -ed friends, so it was all very disappointing and although we love the new house/area/being on the site of a nature reserve, we are feeling very lonely.

3 comments:

Jax Blunt said...

Good to have you back online, I'm sorry it's taking a bit of settling down. Is there a local email list - are there other ppl about who would rather just meet up on a more free range basis?

Claire said...

Thanks guys :) Really must try to make a more concerted effort about coming to camps but this years are out of the question due to the summer one most probably clashing with next IVF and the fact that our 3 week USA trip only leaves me a weeks leave which I need to take after the IVF!

There is a county wide yahoo group but no-one really uses it and those that do seem to all be in Oxford itself so not much use!

Struthie said...

Lovely to see you back Claire - good luck for the next IVF attempt,I'll be cycling again soon too xxx