Wednesday, September 07, 2011

The big change

Charlie started school today, no more home education for us. It makes me very sad really. The restriction to doing things in school holidays and weekends is something I find deeply annoying, claustrophobic even. Luckily, his school, being a private montessori one, is fine with parents taking children out of school in term time, but as he is starting GSCE work now, I feel a bit funny about it. I haven't ruled it out by a long shot, particularly as my uni holidays barely overlap with his even at Christmas :(  Actually the Christmas thing is really upsetting me as he finishes at the start of December and I have lectures up to the 21st December. Then Charlie goes back to school on the 4th January whereas I have another three weeks off after that. Christmas is the most special time in our little family so I am none too happy that our usual pre-christmas stuff won't happen.

The school run isn't much fun either - 45 minutes each way which means three hours of driving every day and getting up early! We will have to get up and leave even earlier when I start uni. But anyway, off Charlie went this morning, he was nervous and flung himself on me as we were leaving the house with cries of "I want to stay here with you mummy". I tried not to cry!


IMG_0107

He had a good day I think, DT, French and music. He was tetchy when I picked him up though. Tomorrow is Maths and Sport. I think he is very nervous about the Maths even though he was absolutely fine with it during the taster day in June. I'm nervous for him but not showing it.

It was very, very weird being home without him today. He is going off on Air Cadets first class training camp this weekend as well, which will be even weirder. Doesn't seem right that he will be gone at the end of this fairly momentous first week at school, but there you go. I didn't have the heart to say no.

No comments: